Welcome to your breakfast with the latest news from South Australia, home and abroad, the Marshall administration was overthrown into a minority this morning after Liberal MP Fraser Ellis told Parliament he was on suspicion of crime had been charged with investigating the ICAC country member allowances and had moved to Crossbench

The Marshall administration was overthrown into a minority this morning after Liberal MP Fraser Ellis made a shock announcement that he was charged with alleged crimes arising from the investigation into ICAC country member allowances

Ellis said he informed Prime Minister Steven Marshall yesterday that he would suspend his membership in the Liberal Party and sit on the Crossbench while he denied the charges

The move leaves the government on the floor of the House of Assembly with just 22 MPs, 24 of whom are needed for a majority

The fees accrue after Ellis’ 42Paid back $ 130 in registration claims he’d made while staying rent-free at his Norwood estate with colleague Terry Stephens

The MP from Narungga told Parliament at 2:13 a.m. this morning that he would defend himself against the charges and not step down from Parliament

“I am completely innocent and will vigorously defend these allegations to the fullest of my resources and the law,” said Ellis

“I have never acted dishonestly Any mistake in an application form filled out by a relatively inexperienced member was just that – a mistake”

“The allegations contradict who I am and what I stand for. I have great faith in the judicial system of this state and I look forward to being exonerated by an impartial court that is free from the influence of other government bodies”

ICAC has yet to issue a public statement on the charges Commissioner Ann Vanstone’s last update of the land members ‘investigation in October cleared nine MPs – including two former ministers – of any wrongdoing, but removed Ellis’ name from the exonerated list

In September 2020, Vanstone said she asked Ellis to voluntarily provide documents “relating to his actual expenses during the nights he was in Adelaide” and “providing evidence of a requirement that he must be in Adelaide, when claims are asserted “

Working Shadow Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Tom Koutsantonis asked why the Prime Minister had not informed the public about the indictment earlier

“The moment he found out that one of his MPs had been charged, he should have issued a press release immediately telling the public that he now has a minority government with only 22 votes on the floor of the house

“The Prime Minister needs to explain … why he did not immediately come forward and explain to the South Australians what the charge was and why Fraser Ellis was left to voluntarily resign from the Liberal Party or why he was not dismissed”

“Last year alone, this government resigned three ministers and two MPs resigned from the party after being charged with criminal offenses – as well as the resignation of the President of the Legislative Council and the government whip,” Malinauskas said
The health department confirmed on Friday that the cases are related to the Holiday Inn outbreak and were quarantined at home during their infection period

A total of 22 confirmed cases have been linked to the outbreak, attributed to a family of three who reside on the third floor of the Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport

Approximately 3,400 close contacts of positive cases remain in isolation, and authorities had warned that more cases were likely to arise

Proposed changes to abortion laws in South Australia passed the House of Assembly after more than 22 hours of parliamentary debate, paving the way for the medical procedure to be removed from the state’s criminal code for the first time in more than 50 years

The pregnancy termination bill was passed in third reading by 29-15 votes, with the House of Commons suspended just before 2:20 a.m. this morning after 10 remaining amendments to the proposal had been worked out

The amendment removes abortion from the Criminal Justice Consolidation Act, in which it has existed since 1969

It will also allow abortions after 22 weeks and six days of gestation if deemed “medically appropriate” by two doctors, although changes made in the bill in the past three days have tightened the rules on when to do so can happen

Late terminations can now only be approved if there is a threat to the life of the mother or another fetus, the possibility of serious fetal abnormalities, or a “significant risk of physical or mental health injury” to the mother if the pregnancy should continue will be

The House also passed an amendment last night prohibiting termination of a pregnancy based on gender

Attorney General Vickie Champion, who first proposed the reforms in October last year, welcomed the House’s decision

“I think it’s a historic day for our management reshuffle in this particular area of ​​law – we have it in the 21st Century brought

“We have now made provisions for women not to have to travel interstate to get a service that is otherwise available to other women across the country””

Members on both sides of the House – including Labor MPs Stephen Mullighan and Tom Koutsantonis, and liberal backbencher Stephen Knoll – voted against the bill on post-abortion provisions, but noted that since it was changed in Year the House had improved. They also supported the removal of abortion from the Criminal Code, but argued that it should have been voted on in a separate bill

Shadow Environment Secretary Susan Close said she was not entirely satisfied with the concession changes added to the bill, but the reform was still an important step forward

“This is not quite the reform that I believe many people are focusing on pleased, “she said

“There has been great progress here, not only in decriminalization, but also that rural women particularly benefit from only having to see a doctor in the first few weeks when they request a dismissal”

The amended bill will now reach the House of Lords, where it is expected to come into force

Scott Morrison sticks to Facebook over his government’s media code and describes the social media giant as arrogant and disappointing for shutting down emergency services along with Australian news while UK politicians condemned Facebook’s actions

Facebook banned access to news sites across Australia in response to the proposed code, forcing the company to pay local media companies for content

SA Health, the Bureau of Meteorology, SA Power Networks and a number of key service sites across the country were affected by the ban yesterday

Facebook claimed it left no choice, arguing that the bargaining code was poorly worded “as the law lacks clear guidelines on how to define message content”

“Facebook’s Actions to Unfriend Australia the shutdown of essential health and rescue information services was as arrogant as it was disappointing, “Morrison said in a statement on his Facebook page

“These measures will only confirm concerns that more and more countries are expressing the behavior of large tech companies who believe they are bigger than governments and that the rules should not apply to them

Morrison has asked Facebook to continue working with the government on the code after UK lawmakers expressed their condemnation of Facebook’s actions overnight

“This action – this bully boy action – that you have been doing in Australia is what I believe will create a desire to move forward among lawmakers around the world,” said Julian Knight, chairman of Digital, Culture, UK Parliament’s media and sports committee, said Reuters

“We represent people, and I’m sorry, but you can’t bulldozer it – and if Facebook believes it does, it will face the same anger as Big Oil and Tobacco in the long run””

“I think they are almost using Australia as a test of strength for global democracies So I think we all stand behind Australia””

“It is important that people have access to accurate news and information from a number of sources, especially during a global pandemic,” a government spokesman said in a statement

The Adelaide Fringe is expected to launch in 2021 Around 21000 artists are preparing to showcase their talent at nearly 900 events and 392 venues during the month-long festival program

Attendees on the opening night can expect plaid-style seating, reduced audience numbers, and increased police presence as authorities attempt to manage the annual festival’s COVID risk

SA Health has granted more than 100 exemptions for artists and support staff from the greater Melbourne area to travel to Adelaide for the event

Fringe Director Health Croall said the festival is expected to be around 155000 tickets worth a total of 4 million US dollars will be sold in time for the opening night

“We feel incredibly happy to start our opening weekend and we are very proud to be hosting a fun and exciting COVID-safe festival,” said Croall

“It was so impressive to see how artists and venues have adapted over the past year, finding new, innovative and inventive ways to keep their performances safe under the rules of crowd density, social distancing and tracing for all to depict enjoy

“While our Fringe 2021 will look different than in previous years with many COVID-related initiatives, the magical atmosphere of Fringe will still be very much alive

“We have every possible scenario planned for this year and continue to work closely with local government and SA Health to ensure our artists, venues, and audiences are safe”

Audience capacity is limited to 50 percent for most shows, while some special events have 75 percent capacity, but attendees wear masks

The Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Dr Emily Kirkpatrick said SA Health has been working with Fringe organizers for months to ensure the event can take place safely

“There will be COVID Safe check-in points at all venues to make check-in as easy as possible for customers, and audiences will be smaller to allow physical distancing,” said Kirkpatrick

“While there may be fewer spectators this year due to the physical distancing requirements, we’ve worked hard to ensure that all performers and events can entertain the crowd in a COVID-safe manner

“Users should read their tickets carefully to know which entrance to use at a venue and make sure they hold it after the show as there are designated exits”

She also said that health officials hope the queues will be minimized given the challenges they pose to social distancing

The SA Police Commissioner Matt Nairn said yesterday that more police units will be deployed to the festival this year, but they will not take action against anyone who does not use the QR code check-in system

The Bureau of Meteorology today issued strict fire warnings for four districts, with complete fire bans in the Mid North, Mount Lofty Ranges, Yorke Peninsula, and Lower South fire districts

The BoM is forecasting very hot conditions throughout the state today, accompanied by fresh northeast to northwest winds, until milder temperatures and a change in south winds occur in the afternoon

According to the CFS, residents in the districts with a total fire ban should activate their survival plan for bushfires

Adelaide is expected to reach a maximum of 36 degrees today, while areas in the north of the state can withstand temperatures of up to 40 degrees

Some national parks in the Adelaide Hills are being closed in view of the total fire bans

Health experts have warned of apathy as the reported daily number of coronavirus infections has been falling worldwide for a month

Falls in infection and death coincide with lockdowns and severe restrictions on gatherings and movements as governments weigh up the need to stop successive waves of the pandemic and get people back to work and children back to school >

However, optimism about a way out of the crisis has been tempered by new variants of the virus, leading to fears about the effectiveness of vaccines

“Now is not the time to let go of your watch,” said Maria Van Kerkhove, World Health Organization technical director for COVID-19, at a briefing in Geneva

COVID-19 has hit some countries far harder than others, although differences in the way infections are counted locally make a perfect apple-to-apple comparison impossible

On Tuesday, an average of seven days worldwide, 351335 new infections reported, out of 863737 on 7 January

COVID-19 infections are falling in the US, with an average of 77883 new infections are reported per day

That’s 31 percent of the high – the highest daily average, which was on March 8 January was reported

Since the pandemic began, there have been 27902387 infections and 490795 coronavirus-related deaths reported, the highest number in the world

According to a study by Imperial College London, coronavirus infection rates in the British capital fell by 80 percent in the past month

As part of the monthly study, researchers between the 4th and 13 February 85000 people tested across England

It has been suggested that around 1 in 200 people were infected, a two-thirds decrease from the previous month

The decline varied across the country and was most pronounced in London, where a new and contagious strain of the virus was identified late last year

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the decline in cases was “encouraging but we must not drop our watch”

Novak Djokovic continued his love affair with Melbourne Park and will be a heartfelt favorite to win his ninth Australian Open title after finishing Aslan Karatsev’s extraordinary run in the semifinals last night

Djokovic beat the Russian qualification 6: 3, 6: 4, 6: 2 in an hour and 55 minutes and made a title decision with the winner of today’s game between Daniil Medvedev and Stefanos Tsitsipas

“This is the best I’ve felt during the entire tournament,” said Djokovic, who sustained an obvious stomach injury in the third round

“I felt great. This is the best game yet and it came at the right time”

Played but seldom surpassed, world number 114 Karatsev is said to be numbered at no 1 42 after becoming the first Grand Slam debutant to reach the semifinals in the Open Era

It had been a barely believable run for the muscular Muscovite who had won three qualifiers in Doha and five in Melbourne to finish the last four

The ending may have been predictable, but the goal line did not reveal the full nature of the competition Karatsev refused to be bullied by the 17-time Grand Slam champion

He went head to toe for much of the first set with Djokovic and caught the world no more than once with his late shot selection and strong forehand

One break in game eight was enough to seal the set for Djokovic, and he set foot with two more in the second

But the 27-year-old didn’t become the first Grand Slam semi-finalist in 20 years to fall outside the top 100 without showing a sizable backbone

He broke back once and held another hold to bring the match back to serve, but couldn’t quite pull it off when Djokovic made love for two sets

The third followed a similar pattern – Djokovic only broke for Karatsev to make his way back into the competition – before the 33-year-old finished the game

While it was anything but easy for Djokovic, who was injured by five sets against Taylor Fritz in a third round, lost another three sets and fought at times against the crowd and his own demons, he will be the favorite regardless of who he plays in the decision maker

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more than in South Australia The state needs more than one voice to move it forward, and you can help InDaily with a donation of any size – your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists Reveal the Facts Please click below to donate to InDaily

Fraser Ellis

World news – AU – What we know today, Friday, 19 February – InDaily

Source: https://indaily.com.au/news/2021/02/19/what-we-know-today-friday-february-19/