Rachel Aiello
Ottawa News Bureau online producer

@rachaiello
Contact

OTTAWA –
Johnson’s First One-Time COVID-19 Vaccine & Johnson was approved by Health Canada, making it the fourth vaccine that can be given to Canadians

Health Canada is now the first major regulatory agency to approve four different COVID-19 vaccines for use, said Health Canada’s chief medical officer, Dr Supriya Sharma during a briefing announcing approval

Approval follows an independent and thorough scientific review for safety, efficacy, and quality Sharma said

Canada can now use Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines in its ongoing mass vaccination campaign, which is largely viewed as a key pillar in overcoming the nearly year-long pandemic

Canada’s federal health agency has been investigating the Johnson & Johnson 30 virus vector since November and like the AstraZeneca vaccine, which gave the green light last Friday, it will be logistically easier to administer as it will be shipped in temperatures between two and eight degrees Celsius and will last for at least three months Can be stored under these refrigerated conditions

It has been approved for use in adults aged 18 years and over With nearly 20 percent of clinical trial participants aged 65 and over, no difference in safety or effectiveness was found compared to younger age groups. Health Canada also has a clinical trial for the vaccine in children ages 12 to 17 approved

Overall, in clinical studies, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine has been shown to be 66 percent effective in preventing moderate to severe COVID-19

“The effectiveness rate does not mean that you have a 34 percent chance of contracting COVID-19 after being vaccinated with a vaccine that is 66 percent effective”Sharma added that while the approved vaccines now available to Canadians have varied rates of effectiveness, all Health Canada-approved vaccines are” strong ” Reduce the amendment to the contract COVID-19

“It’s not just about getting COVID-19 What really matters is whether any of the vaccines are preventing you from being hospitalized or dying from COVID-19″She noted that all vaccines approved to date are effective in preventing serious illness or death

Sharma said Johnson’s & shot showed Johnson that he was delivering “acceptable values” protection against B1351 variant first discovered in South Africa and against the P1 variant first identified in Brazil

As with other vaccines, Sharma said common side effects are pain and tenderness at the injection site, headache, muscle pain, fever, and chills. The majority of side effects reported during clinical trials were mild to moderate and resolved within a few days

The federal government has secured access to up to 38 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, with a minimum of 10 million doses agreed and an option to purchase an additional 28 million

During a briefing Thursday on the launch of vaccines in Canada, Joelle Paquette, director general of vaccines for Public Services and Procurement Canada, told reporters that the 10 million doses are expected by the end of September

It is unclear how soon the first dispensing of these doses could arrive in Canada, but with the addition of this vaccine to Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine arsenal, is it likely that this country will? The entire immunization timeline can be accelerated

Regulatory approval for the Johnson & Johnson, which is safe and effective for use in Canada, follows the US drug company Jannsen’s approval of the vaccine candidate last weekend while other medical regulators like the European Medicines Agency are reviewing the Vaccine Candidates Continue Vaccine

The vaccine was approved under terms and conditions, including the manufacturer’s obligation to continue to provide Health Canada with information on the vaccine’s safety, efficacy, and quality

Typically, the vaccine submission review process can take up to a year to complete However, thanks to an emergency mandate, Health Canada was able to expedite the approval process and evaluate ongoing information rather than having to wait until the end of its work to begin reviewing the results

Dr Supriya Sharma, Chief Medical Officer at Health Canada, will hold a meeting on Friday, April 5th March 2021, in Ottawa, a technical briefing on the approval of COVID-19 vaccines in Canada from THE CANADIAN PRESS / Sean Kilpatrick

This December 2, 2020 photo by Johnson & Johnson shows vials of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine in the US (Johnson & Johnson via AP)

Tracking every COVID-19 case in Canada

Coronavirus Vaccine Trackers: How Many People in Canada Got Recordings?

Canada approves a one-time COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson

Ontario reports an increase in new COVID-19 infections with more than 1200 added cases

More than 80 percent of COVID-19 cases are caused by community exposures: StatCan

Canada spent $ 24 million on COVID-19 vaccines received in January: StatCan

India’s top diplomat is campaigning for better relations with Canada and is open to more vaccines

Ontario is deciding on public health restrictions for the remaining three COVID-19 hotspots

Why Blood Type A May Increase Your Risk Of COVID-19

Expect COVID-19 vaccine guidelines to keep changing, federal health officials say

Recent arrests for counterfeit COVID-19 vaccines just “tip of the iceberg”: Interpol

Freeze failures and damaged vials behind wasted COVID-19 vaccines in Ontario

Tracking variants of the novel coronavirus in Canada

Full coverage on CTVNewsca / Coronavirus

Use of this website assumes acceptance of &’s terms and conditions and privacy policy, editorial standards and guidelines

Johnson and Johnson Vaccine

World News – CA – Canada Approves One-Time COVID-19 Vaccine From Johnson & Johnson

Source: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/health-canada-authorizes-one-shot-covid-19-vaccine-from-johnson-johnson-1.5335065