Albertans must comply with current public health restrictions to keep the COVID-19 rate down for at least two more weeks

Prime Minister Jason Kenney announced the extension of the current rules until at least January 21 in a press conference Thursday when Alberta announced 968 cases, a count that Kenney said does not sufficiently show the province is dropping one in the second wave of the pandemic Has turned corner

“Although the number of active cases has decreased significantly since the measures were launched in November, we are ahead of most other Canadian provinces per capita in terms of total active cases per capita cases and COVID deaths,” Kenney said / p>

Alberta tops all provinces except Ontario for new cases per capita for the past two weeks and outperforms all provinces except Manitoba in active cases per capita The death rate in the past two weeks is the highest in Canada

The 968 new cases reported on Thursday are below the province’s average last week, which is still above Jan.000 lies The new infections came from 14833 tests, a 6 positivity rate of 5 percent, which represents a slight decrease compared to the previous days, in which the positivity rate was around seven percent

Those numbers, coupled with still high hospitalization rates and the possibility of an increase in transmissions due to holiday gatherings, made it necessary to extend the policy for an additional two weeks, Kenney said

“We need to make sure we consider the very real possibility of an increase in cases as a result of the holidays,” he said, “(the numbers) are still way too high”

Also, the Prime Minister announced that plans for elementary school students studying in person would not change, with schools reopening for students from Monday Kenney is confident schools will not become a driver for the spread of viruses

The decisions were made in a long session of the Cabinet Committee responsible for the COVID-19 response Thursday morning, Kenney said

Measures that will remain in place include mandatory closings of most non-retail businesses, including gyms, hair salons, and restaurants and bars designed for personal service only, and a ban on all non-household social gatherings remains in place

The news is a mix of good and bad for business, said Scott Crockatt, vice president of the Business Council of Alberta

“Nobody is ever excited about bans, but companies are realizing the need for data-driven decision-making and most are realizing that it is,” said Crockatt

“At this point in the pandemic, companies have gotten very, very good at maintaining and keeping essential services safe, and the reality is that most companies are realizing that the safety and health of Albertans is their number one priority”

Crockatt said the corporate council was monitoring data on the start of business support services after the closings were first announced to see if additional government aid might be needed

Admission prices to hospitals and intensive care units in Alberta continued to fall on Thursday. There are 871 Albertans in the hospital, of which 139 are in intensive care units, measured against 911 or 141 the day before

Hospital stays in Alberta peaked on December 30, when 954 were in the hospital with 145 ICU admissions – values ​​roughly ten times the maximum hospital stays during the first wave in Alberta, according to Dr Deena Hinshaw

“A high level of community broadcast affects all of us,” said Hinshaw. “This is why it is important to maintain our current policies”

Another 24 deaths from the novel coronavirus were reported in Alberta on Thursday, including nine in the Calgary Health Services Zone of Alberta

These deaths bring Alberta’s total to 1217 Alberta recorded its 600th birthday on December COVID-19 death 6, meaning roughly half of the province’s deaths from the pandemic were reported in the last month alone

On Thursday, Kenney spoke to the media for the first time since New Years when he confirmed former Secretary of State for Local Affairs Tracy Allard had traveled to Hawaii for the Christmas vacation, at the time Kenney said he would not be any of the travelers in his administration sanction

That mindset changed on Monday when Kenney announced via a Facebook post that several MLAs, including Allard, had been downgraded for traveling on board, while his own chief of staff was being fired for a trip to the UK >

The Prime Minister urged Albertans to continue to obey COVID-19 measures, despite saying that the members of his caucus he described as a “breakdown of discipline” fall on him

He said he heard from those who were angry and “disgusted” with provincial officials over the weekend, which resulted in disciplinary action

“I take responsibility for making sure the money stays with me, and I am ultimately responsible for creating a culture in our caucus that doesn’t have adequate control over what people do and that just change must, “said Kenney

Another update from Kenney is scheduled for Friday, when the prime minister is expected to address vaccination plans by Wednesday, the province had high-risk populations 33864 doses of the vaccine were given, meaning about every 130 Albertaner has received his first dose of vaccine

Sign up to receive daily headlines from the Calgary Herald, a division of Postmedia Network Incto get

A welcome email is on the way. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder

Postmedia strives to maintain a lively but civil discussion forum and to encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Moderating comments can take up to an hour before they appear on the site To keep comments relevant and respectful We have enabled email notifications You will now receive an email when you get a reply to your comment, when a comment thread you follow is updated, or when a user follows comments for more information and details on how to customize your email settings by visiting our community Guidelines

© 2021 Calgary Herald, a division of Postmedia Network Inc All rights reserved. Unauthorized distribution, distribution or republication is strictly prohibited

This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads) and allows us to analyze our traffic.Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy

Jason Kenney

World News – CA – “We’re Far From Getting Out Of Here”: COVID-19 restrictions have been extended to at least January 21st

Source: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/live-at-4-p-m-kenney-expected-to-extend-covid-19-restrictions