Chris Shaw


Liverpool FC Women scored an impressive first win in 2021 when they beat London Bees 3-0 in their FA Women’s Championship on Sunday

Becky Jane interrupted the Reds’ attack at the start of the encounter at Prenton Park with a back-post finish that made the difference between the two teams in the first half

The visitors got close several times in the second half and encountered the woodwork too, but the late efforts of Ceri Holland and substitute Amy Rodgers gave the hosts the win

Liverpool started on purpose, moving the ball forward at every opportunity Jane – deployed in an advanced position on the right flank – was at the heart of her early advancement

The game was only three minutes old when she passed a pass for Kirsty Linnett The striker had options when she sat down on goal and decided to shoot into the penalty area where the bees cut the ball out / p>

On this occasion, they formulated the chance via the left wing Linnett slid a pass down the barrel of Ashley Hodson, which drove to the contact line and delivered to the center so Jane could force a low blow

The visitors were on the verge of striking back immediately, although Sophie Quirk was dragged past the left post from a distance of 20 meters

Liverpool stayed on the upswing nonetheless and a clever turn by Linnett on the edge of the area allowed her to feed a pass into Rhiannon Roberts’ barrel but the latter’s shot was too close to the goalkeeper

Bee stopper Sarah Quantrill was later forced to do more laborious work, responding to tipping Missy Bo Kearns’ soaring drive from Jane’s lay-up

Meikayla Moore threw a header from the resulting corner and the sides went into halftime, with the result still 1-0

It was a different story when the game restarted in the second half when the bees created a number of chances to restore parity

First, a ball went into the box for Lauren Pickett and Rachael Laws had to jump off her line to block her target at close range

Two minutes later, a corner kick from the left found Amelia Hazard on the back post and her header in the direction of the goal was stopped by Laws

LFC Women Interim Manager Amber Whiteley made a three-fold change just past the hour, introducing Rachel Furness, Melissa Lawley and Rodgers to aid in the search for a second goal

In a proper passing game, the ball eventually spread high up on Quirk’s left flank, and her cross-shot hit the crossbar before ricocheting

Furness headed off a corner when the Reds reacted – and they secured the points with two goals within six minutes

On the 74, Liverpool built from behind and Furness’ flick-on in the middle of the park opened up for Holland to exchange passes with Lawley, step forward and cushion a hit beyond Quantrill

Rodgers also quickly added her name to the score sheet and swept home right from the edge of the box to confirm an encouraging result for Whiteley’s indictment

LFC women: Laws, Roberts, Moore, Fahey, Hinds, Jane (Lawley, 62), Bailey (Brough, 87), Holland, Kearns (Rodgers, 62), Hodson, Linnett (Furness, 62)


World news – GB – Match report: LFC Women 3-0 London Bees