Cricketer John Edrich, who died of leukemia at the age of 83, was one of the top English batsmen of the 20th century Century Century Short, stocky, with bushy eyebrows and brave, he played 77 times for his country between 1963 and 1976 and had a particularly good record against the two best teams of his time – Australia and the West Indies 1970-71, his outstanding performance was one of the main reasons for this that England won the ashes in Australia for the first time since 1956 With Geoffrey Boycott in the late 1960s and early 70s, he created a formidable inaugural partnership that allowed for many good platforms in Test matches. His best result, 310 not against New Zealand, is the fifth highest for England in Tests

In county cricket, Edrich was a leading figure for Surrey, whom he ran in his later days and with whom he spent most of his 39th season from 1958-1978Amassed 790 career runs, one of the highest in history and an impressive 4547 average, by the end of his career he was also one of the rare cricketers to get 100 hundred (103 total), placing him in the company of greats like WG Grace, Jack Hobbs and Wally Hammond brought

Edrich’s greatest asset was his concentration and discipline, combined with the unusual ability to handle every ball as it came, no matter what had gone before. He was also tough and shook off countless nasty injuries, those of the fastest Bowlers in the world, some of whom might have permanently unsettled smaller characters, while being combative rather than stylish, he was able to display aggressive, almost careless intent when the imagination took him, and was a reckless dispatcher of bad deliveries who Using his strong forearms to hit the ball into the middle of the money or through the ceiling, there was no better example of his ability to be extravagant than his 310 at Headingley in 1965, where he scored more runs within limits – 52 fours and five sixes – than ever before in a Test innings

Most of all, Edrich loved running against Australia. Seven of his 12 Test hundreds came against her and he scored 2644 runs at 4896 in 32 games with an even better average (5578) on Australian soil When England recaptured the ashes 2-0 in Australia under Ray Illingworth in 1970-71, Edrich was a pivotal point with an average of 72 and put in a boycott Boycott, Right-Handed, and Edrich, a left-hander, admired and respected each other because of the same hatred of losing “John had one of the greatest temperaments I have ever seen,” said Boycott “I’d rather open an inning with him than anyone else”

Edrich was born into a sugar beet farm family in Blofield, Norfolk. Four of his older cousins ​​on the Edrich side played county cricket – including Bill Edrich for Middlesex, and England John started at five and became the captain of Bracondale School in Norwich and played club cricket for South Walsham in his late teens, he appeared for Norfolk and was offered a spot on the Surrey staff in 1955. After a successful season in the Second XI, he was called up to national service in 1956 and made his world-class debut that year for the Combined Services against Glamorgan

Returning to the oval in 1958, he made his debut in the last game of the season at the age of 21. His second match took place early in the 1959 season, when he scored centuries in every inning against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge and scored four centuries in quick succession in his first seven innings by the first week of July he had scored another three hundred goals and had been selected for the players against the gentlemen at Lord’s, often a forerunner of the English selection

Shortly thereafter, however, he was broken an ankle by Fred Trueman and when he got fit again Frank Tyson crashed a ball in the same joint and broke it again and paid for all thoughts of calling England in his first real season He made a remarkable start “It was like knocking the door down and marching in with Norfolk mud on my boots,” he recalled

Despite this breathless entry into the county scene, Edrich had to wait another four years to play for England – in part, it seemed, because the selectors had unfounded reservations about his rather unorthodox batting technique, and he made his Test debut at old age in 1963 of 25 years against the West Indies at Old Trafford He opened with his Surrey partner Micky Stewart against Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith at their hostile climax, scoring 20 and 38 points, respectively. He was dropped after the next game but made it back to the team for the final Test and was chosen for the India -Tour 1963-64 selected where he could only take two tests due to his illness. When Australia toured England in 1964, it opened on the second test at Lord’s with Ted Dexter and faced 120 on his Ashes debut after poor results in later games, however, he was back on the sidelines and missed the winter tour to South Africa

It had been a sluggish start to his testing career coinciding with the breakup of his brief marriage to American tennis player Pat Stewart in 1964, but the following year he met Judith Cowan, an Australian nurse who agreed to be his second To become a woman and convinced him that he had a future in the game With new strength, Edrich did not celebrate his selection for the third home test against New Zealand with his 310 in 1965 – but in the following game against South Africa at Lord’s he was knocked out by inaugural player Peter Pollock and hospitalized to keep him out of the rest of the series It was a typical stroke of luck for a man known for sustaining injuries. Forever in the Line of Fire, Edrich broke his fingers so often that a piece of leg bone stuck into his Had to be hand-grafted

He made his comeback on the 1965-66 tour of England to Australia and New Zealand and scored No. 3 in Australia for two consecutive centuries of testing before an add-on operation restricted his participation in New Zealand. In 1966 he was named Wisden Cricketer of the Year , and in 1968 he was named best player in the Ashes series, averaging 61 points55 and scoring 50s in five consecutive innings.He made two centuries against West Indies at home and another pair against New Zealand in the summer of 1969 and played During the Australian tour in 1970/71 at the first one-day international match in Melbourne against the man of the game, he was awarded an 82

Edrich remained a mainstay of the English team for the next five years, heading the team for a game on the 1974-75 Australian Tour. England lost that game, but he played a brave blow in the second innings after two of his ribs through The first ball he faced was broken by Dennis Lillee. He was rushed to the hospital and eventually returned to score 33 points.Similar valor was required in his last Test at the age of 39 in 1976 when he played the innings with Brian Close against West Indies at Old Trafford – and the pair withstood a terribly intimidating spate of fast bowling to play 54 for the first time, wicket England’s second inning total of 152 and ended his testing career at 5138 runs with an average of 4354

In county cricket, Edrich had five seasons as the Surrey captain from 1973 to 1977, including a Benson & Hedges Cup final in 1974.But he was too self-reliant and undemonstrative to be a leader and his years at the helm were unexplained and generally indistinguishable

In 1977, the year he was promoted to MBE, Edrich scored his 100 in the oval Hundredths and after one more season he left the game to become marketing director of a bank in Jersey He served as an English selector for a year in 1981, after which he moved to Cape Town The death of his son in a car accident in 1992 resulted in a return to the UK, where he and Judith last lived in Ballater, Aberdeenshire

In 2005, Edrich was near death with a rare, incurable form of leukemia, but experienced a remarkable recovery following experimental injections of mistletoe, which allowed him to resume normal activities in 2006-07 when he was President of Surrey, where the Edrich gates in the oval are named after him

John Edrich

World News – GB – Obituary for John Edrich