As bonfire arctic weather explodes in the south and central parts of the US, power grids are tight and millions of people are unaccustomed to the sight of snow trying to figure out how to stay warm

Some have turned to risky sources of heat, including gas-powered generators, stoves, and even automobiles. At least two people died and about 100 fell ill from carbon monoxide poisoning over a 16-hour period Monday and Tuesday in the Houston area, authorities said / p>

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, weakness, dizziness, and nausea, according to Firelands Regional Medical Center in Sandusky, Ohio. People who sleep or are drunk may die of the disease before symptoms appear, according to the Centers for Control and Monitoring Disease prevention

Carbon monoxide, a by-product of burning fossil fuels, is colorless and odorless and therefore more difficult to detect than other hazardous substances. But carbon monoxide poisoning is “completely avoidable” the CD.C. says

The agency has urged people to have working carbon monoxide detectors and warned not to heat homes with a gas stove or burn something in a stove or fireplace that isn’t ventilated

Using charcoal, gasoline-powered engines, or even portable gas storage stoves indoors is also dangerous, according to health and safety officials.They also warn against running generators or cars inside to heat homes

In Houston, police said this week that a woman and girl were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning after a car was left in an attached garage to generate heat when the power went out, ???? A man and a boy were also hospitalized

Four people were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in Oregon over the weekend, the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday

Carbon Monoxide

World News – United States – How to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning While Trying to Stay Warm